[pianotech] question about agraffes and uprights

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 8 14:37:20 MST 2013

Begging pardon, Susan, but someone pretty authoritative once told me that capo bars are a better reflective termination (better sound-wise) than agraffes, which is why, on small grands where one can "get away with it", they are common. (Not just because these pianos are "cheaply made".) Because the short string length means less chance of the string dislocating due to a wide-swinging vibration. (And maybe also because they are easier to replace than a capo bar in a situation where a widely-vibrating string can "waller" out a divot.) And a VERY well-made, 5'4" Bush and Lane art-case grand, that someone I know has, has a massive, bolt-down capo bar in the bass! (And a  bass tone/volume like a  really good S&S "M"!!!) I suspect, therefore, that agraffes are just to keep neat string spacing in those high-end uprights (like Ivers and Ponds) and for string spacing AND resistance to the upward blow of hammers in grands where capo bars would not be able to
 keep long strings in place, and tend to be worn out by them.

Thumpe