[pianotech] From the Dark Side, the topic of "Birdseye"

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 9 09:11:03 MST 2013

Fred Said: (like the sound of that<G>)
"Message: You might be able to adapt a small Forstner bit for the purpose:
grind the flat cutting surfaces to a curved profile. The centering brad
would serve to center it, but maybe should be dulled/made round so it would
simply ride in the hole (that you would have drilled already). You might be
able to do this yourself with various files, Dremel grinders, ingenuity. Or
you might use a spade bit as the starting point, rather than Forstner. The
additional wood outside the birdseye would probably have to be removed using
a chisel.

Look in the latest PTJournal for the article on making historic action
models. Maybe contact the author, Ian Gillis. He might have some ideas. It
is also possible to contact Abel and see if they would make some custom
parts. They are set up for that sort of thing.

Fred,
You are kind of  on the correct track with the tool needed to make a bird's
eye, but no cigar. I have several that serve me for making obsolete parts.
Some I made myself and others were made by a good machinist. Either take a
great deal of time and money to develop. (damhik<G>). I someone needs to
have some parts duplicated, I've been doing that service for over 20 years!
As Ron N. says, over and over and over and......I'm repeating myself ad
nauseaum.<G> The real trick to all of this is extremely accurate well
maintained machines, (especially the drill press!)
Best,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police