[pianotech] question about agraffes and uprights

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 9 11:50:07 MST 2013

Another point about agraffes, of course, is that the arched surface of the hole interior mates better with the string roundness than a flat surface. (So, I'm guessing, less propensity to vibrate loosely against it and "zing".) My comment about capos was merely meant to discuss reflectivity. No other factors. As Ron said, there are "too many variables" in this situation (relative hardnesses of capos, agraffes, string lengths and tensions, etc.) at least for my small brain to cope with. So be it.

Thumpe.

P.S. I've worked on only old stuff. Does the U-5 use agraffes for speaking length terminations, or are they above an upper plate bridge?