[pianotech] Square Grand Sound Clips & Pics

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Feb 10 09:38:44 MST 2013

Just about completed my 1867 S&S square grand rebuild. Here's a few photos and a couple sound clips for those interested. I just have a few minor things to finish - fix music desk support, a little veneer work, etc.

The first sound clip is really directed to Joe Garret, with the question: Is the amount of damper leakage heard in these sound clips appropriate for this type of instrument? I know you say that the damper system on American square grands won't cut off like on a modern grand, and these certainly don't - but they do stop after a couple seconds - and it's only the bass strings that really make the real slow damping (both when they are played and that they will ring sympathetically). In the first clip a 10 year old Yamaha C3 in good condition (off a cruise ship) is played also for comparison.

The second clip is directed to Ron Nossaman who re-did the string scale. Bass strings are by J. D. Grant and plain wire is Mapes Gold. Scale sounds very nice to me.  :-)   Sorry for the couple high treble notes out of tune.  :-(

Terry Farrell

Sound clip #1: