[pianotech] Square Grand Sound Clips & Pics

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Feb 10 10:24:17 MST 2013

On 2/10/2013 10:38 AM, Terry Farrell wrote:

> The first sound clip is really directed to Joe Garret, with the
> question: Is the amount of damper leakage heard in these sound clips
> appropriate for this type of instrument? I know you say that the
> damper system on American square grands won't cut off like on a
> modern grand, and these certainly don't - but they do stop after a
> couple seconds - and it's only the bass strings that really make the
> real slow damping (both when they are played and that they will ring
> sympathetically).

That's not so bad. We'll see what Joe says, but those dampers on a
square would satisfy me just fine.

> The second clip is directed to Ron Nossaman who re-did the string
> scale. Bass strings are by J. D. Grant and plain wire is Mapes Gold.
> Scale sounds very nice to me.  :-)   Sorry for the couple high treble
> notes out of tune.  :-(

With the exception of the really knocky last few high treble, it sounds
better than the Yamaha. But then A-7 at 50mm is about 10mm short, and
180 lbs light, so the knock may just be inevitable. Must have gotten
enough epoxy in the bridge everywhere else though. <G> Very nice! Good job.
Ron N