[pianotech] Squar Grand sound clips!

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 10 17:19:58 MST 2013

Thanks for much effort from Paul, I finally got to hear the clips! Yea!!!
The problem is with the damned Digest! When I got the file direct from
Pual, it worked!  Now to the object.
It sounds absolutely normal for a Square Grand! The last few notes in the
Bass are the usual "tubby" sound. I can hear the transition from wound to
plain wire. That is normal, since there is really no way, (that I've
found), to get that better w/o a lot of voicing. Even then it is not
"transparent" Terry, did you soak the shoulders of all of the hammers, with
lacquer. It doesn't sound like it. Much can be achieved by reinforcing the
shoulders. The extreme treble sounds like: 1. the hammers are too soft,
(normal Ronsen situation<G>), I suspect Bacon Felt.<G>  2. The extreme 5-6
hammers are not quite on the strike point of the strings. A bit of
experimentation is in order there.
What's this garbage with the Yamama??? That's comparing Apples to
Pomegranates!! Yikes! The Yammama offends my ears!
The Square Grand's damping is as it should be. The intent, as I percieve
it, is to "spell" the chords of the popular music of that age....i.e.
Mozart type stuff, or rags or ??? whatever they were playing back in the
day. Do the damper levers have an "auxillary" damper head attached to the
main head? Most did, in the singles. Usually, the A0 did not have one and
needs it. I've always added that to A0. It will help.
Well, that's my first take on all that.
Best,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.