[pianotech] apprentice

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 11 10:16:02 MST 2013

You might want to read Wim Blee's book on the subject of business in our profession.  I think that Randy Potter has a book on taking on an apprentice.  I took a class from RAndy on the subject, which was quite good.  Basically, you want to get compensated for your teaching, and the apprentice needs to be compensated too.  The thing is, he won't have the skills right away, but gradually he will.  For a certain job, say keytop replacement, you show him/her what to do and monitor their work.  The job pays X amount of dollars, and you keep that while he/she learns the process.  After so many keytop jobs, you see that you aren't needed for close supervision, so you begin to ramp up the compensation for that job.  While they are under your supervision, you still get compensated, and the apprentice effectively "pays" you out of the reduced salary or payment for the work done.
Anyway, I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions here.  Good luck.
Paul McCloud
San Diego