[pianotech] Plastic Flange Replacement

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Wed Feb 13 10:37:45 MST 2013

One might consider a few other things before thinking a piano is "too
old." Sometimes pianos
which came early to our excellent West Coast climate can last decades
longer than those which
had to contend with huge temperature and humidity swings in other regions.

One week in California I tuned two uprights which had just been brought
from the high desert
in Montana. (Just a coincidence.) Neither had been tuned for 30 years.
Both when I found them,
after a week or two in Stockton, were 1/4 tone sharp. Our humidity was
moderate, but they had
been DRY. I remember one in particular. There was a very thin patina of
light brown very fine
dust on it, and underneath that -- IT LOOKED NEW!!! And this was a big
1920's upright.

At the time, that piano was 75 years old chronologically -- physically,
it was a lot newer
than that.

Other factors could intervene: has it been played to death? Was it left
in a garage?
Was it abused in a public place? I remember the upright from a church
hall, where I had
to remove a very old Mexican lunch from the action.

I haven't come across one of the small but good uprights with plastic
parts for awhile,
but if one comes at me, and if it has been out west for most of its
life, I'll try to
oil up my (minimal) salesmanship so I can make a profit, and see if it
can get new parts.

Susan