[pianotech] 1098 Hammer Bore

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Thu Feb 14 06:28:24 MST 2013

I was handed a project that another tech could not finish due to a
family illness. New hammers are in the offing but I have a few concerns.
First, the shanks mic .210" but the hammers were bored to .218" (7/32).
That is way too loose. Could a paper shim be glued in on the non-string
side of the molding without causing a problem down the line? Secondly,
the hammers are bored close to the same length as these old, worn ones
and there are shims under the hammer rail already. What is a stock bore
for a S&S 1098?   Maybe I should plug these holes and rebore to bring
the action parameters to original specs.

Regards,

Jon Page