[pianotech] 1098 Hammer Bore

Roger@Integra.net rgable at integra.net
Thu Feb 14 09:42:38 MST 2013

Greg,
Measuring the string to center pin distance and subtracting the blow
distance is not always the correct method to determine bore distance. Many
pianos have a "rake" (less than 90 degrees) designed into action geometry
and that method would never produce a "rake" -- you would always have a 90
degree angle with the shank to hammer molding. The rake is sometimes needed
to ensure that the hammer returns securely. A no-rake condition can cause,
under certain conditions, the hammer assembly to get "stuck" against the
string on a light blow because there isn't enough mass behind the
perpendicular from the center pin when the hammer strikes the string. The
older Steinway uprights are an example where an extreme rake is designed
into the geometry. Some Yamaha grands have a reverse rake in the bass
section -- without it, the hammers wouldn't clear the pin block when
removing the action.
Roger Gable