[pianotech] action parts

Richard W. Bushey rbushey4 at embarqmail.com
Thu Feb 14 20:49:28 MST 2013

I did one of these yesterday, hairline crack below the bird's eye on a
Baldwin Acrosonic jack.

I was told that the pin was creeping, so I was expecting a rebushing job and
new pin, but wound up having to replace the jack as well.

Somewhere along the line, someone had used a #22 or so pin, pretty large
anyway, which likely caused the crack.  I did CA the hairline crack in the
bird's eye first, which worked super, however, because the piano had been
played with the pin out of one side of the flange bushing until it couldn't
any longer be played, it had reamed out and deformed the bird's eye hole in
the jack so much that when I rebushed the flange, repinned it, and
reinstalled the whippen, the jack sat severely crooked to one side. I
happened to have the proper jack on hand, so I was able to replace the jack
and that worked nicely, but was ever glad I had the spare jack with me, as I
was over 50 mi. from home.

So, yes, you never know.

If there is a neat fix for this besides replacing the jack, I'd be all ears!

Richard W. Bushey
Richard's Piano Service
www.RichardsPianoService.com
www.RichardsPianoService.com/blog