[pianotech] cracked/split jack birdseyes, etc.

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 14 23:39:41 MST 2013

Richard Bushey asked:
"If there is a neat fix for this besides replacing the jack, I'd be all
ears!

Yes, there is. Drill across the centerpin hole with a drill bit that will
"just" allow a round tooth pick to be inserted w/glue. Since Diamond
Toothpick and Match Company has gone to China, the diameter of drill will
vary a lot. (That's what micrometers are for dude.<G>)
Once the glue has set up a bit, drill out the hole where the original
center pin went w/a 3/64" or #55 drill bit. Done. Repin. I've been using
that trick for a lot of years. It does take a steady hand, but it's doable.
When you are working with obsolete parts, it's the best answer, imo
Best,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police