[pianotech] 1098 Hammer Bore

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Fri Feb 15 10:12:08 MST 2013

I sent this yesterday, but it is not showing up.  I will re-send at the risk of having both posts appear... I apologize if they do.

On any upright, the bore is never calculated as below. Otherwise, as has been alluded, the hammer shank would be vertical when the hammer meets the string. A ballpark hammer bore determination for an upright would be: String to center pin distance less blow distance plus 5.5 mm (7/32").

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte  Supply
www.pianofortesupply.com

On 2013-02-14,pianotech wrote:

>  Measuring the string to center pin distance and subtracting the blow  distance is not always the correct method to determine bore distance.
and