[pianotech] Sostenuto

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 16 23:18:28 MST 2013

David Love said:
"Working on an older MH A. Discovered that the damper tray is mounted about
3 mm high on the treble side. I can remove the pivot block and relocate the
pivot pin hole 3 mm lower easily enough. However, the sostenuto mounts were
also installed to match the damper tray misalignment and are also 3 mm high
on the treble side. They will need to be realigned to match the orientation
of the damper tray. So I'm wondering about bending these mounts, how much
bending will they take and what's the best way to go about it (strung
already of course). I have installed capstans on the tray but the 3 mm
disparity would have them pretty much bottomed out on one and, well, 3 mm
higher on the other end.

Gee, maybe that Steinway system isn't so bad after all.

Thanks in advance"

David,
Yer welcum.<G> Personally, I'd just remount the pivot. Extract it from the
belly rail; plug the hole and then redrill 3mm lower. Screw the sucker in
and be done with it. BTW, Typical M&H "make it fit" sort of thing, imo.
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I