[pianotech] P-22 Bass Strings

Dave Bunch davebpiano at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 10:49:28 MST 2013

I tune for a school that has eight Yamaha P-22s, all about five to ten
years old. One of them (ser # 0023376) has been throwing bass strings. Six
so far. At first I cautioned them about heavy handed playing but I know now
this is not the problem after breaking the sixth myself during tuning, only
raising the pitch a couple of cents.

None of the others have broken strings and they all get played an equal
amount. This is the first time I have seen this on a fairly new P-22. Has
anyone else run into this? Is it actually possible they put the wrong
strings on this piano? I'm thinking this might be a warranty issue since I
see no other solution than to restring the bass. Any opinions?

Dave Bunch