[pianotech] P-22 Bass Strings

Don Mannino donmannino at ca.rr.com
Mon Feb 18 12:26:49 MST 2013

Dave,

Yes, call Yamaha to discuss this.  But first, make a few observations.
Since there are multiple pianos, you can compare them to see if there is any
difference.  It would also be helpful to know where they are breaking - at
the tuning pin?  At the V-bar?  At the bridge?

- Look at the string locator pins on the V-bar, and see if they are drilled
correctly directly on the V-bar, or if they are a little high or low.  A
compound bend at this point caused by a misalignment could be an issue at
this point.

- Look at the string as it comes off the tuning pin, as Susan mentioned.  I
haven't heard of this problem on recent models, but check to see if there is
any overlap of the coil as the string comes away from the pin.  It could be
that the pins are driven in a little too deep, so the angle is bad.
Replacing the pins with longer ones can solve this problem.

If they are breaking at the bridge, it is most likely abusive playing.  It
could be that this is the favorite practice room of someone working on their
black belt in music, and that they like to rock out with the pedal mashed
down.

Don Mannino