[pianotech] cracked/split bird'seyes, etc

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 18 14:35:01 MST 2013

Allan W. said:
"> On the other hand, that very fact of their working partly in isolation
means that creative individual technicians come up with ways of doing
things that nobody else had thought of; so it cuts both ways. Too
authoritative (or standardized) a body of accepted techniques might stifle
the creativity. In these days of the internet, we may have the best of both
worlds. I agree completely that the sharing of our bright ideas is a good
thing. But I've long been impressed in this work with how many equally good
ways there can be of accomplishing a similar result.

Allen,
Yes, you are correct, but too often than not, we see things like the
following pictures. To explain what it is we are looking at: This is a
Chickering Upright w/their own version of the loop/spring type hammer
butt/brass rail thang. The correct brass plate has an added hole for the
cord to be attached to. Instead, this "ingenius" tech installed regular
brass plates and then made string loops and attaching them where ever he
fancied was a good place to slop some glue around. And then, of course
there is the major trauma to the springs themselves. Sigh. Some should not
be left to their own devices.<G>
Best,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.