[pianotech] P-22 Bass Strings

Dave Bunch davebpiano at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 15:04:38 MST 2013

I know the P-202s well though thankfully I don't run into them much
anymore. The bass section was the perfect storm for string breakage. I
swear the angle around the plate pin was close to 90% so when raising the
pitch there was a tremendous amount of friction and added tension between
the plate bearing and the pin. Then added to that, a string that overlaps
the coil as it comes off, creating a sharp bend.

Thankfully the P-22s are not like that including my problem piano. The
strings are all breaking at the plate bearing and I don't see anything
unusual that would be causing a problem. All eight of the pianos are pretty
much identical as they were all purchased at the same time from the same
dealer. This piano isn't played by anyone that doesn't play the others so I
am at a loss. Think it's time to contact Yamaha.

Dave Bunch