[pianotech] Prepared frickin'piano and damaged bass strings (going OT)

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Thu Feb 21 05:46:48 MST 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Nossaman

I wrote:>>If my school wanted to> burn a Steinway at each concert, and
could afford it, would I quit? No,>

>>  Of course not, but it would surely break your heart that you
couldn't soak them for repairs
.Ron N

"Soak" ??  Oh what a master of the impugn you are, Ron.   I can't
imagine living in such a field of negative energy your posts so often
display, but it must work for you.   Neither I, nor Vanderbilt, have
ever considered what I do here as "soaking", which is just a slimy way
of saying  "taking unfair advantage of".  This isn't happening in a
vacuum, either.  There have been numerous attempts,by dealers and other
techs, to offer a "better" service, and every one of them has flopped
in the face of faculty critique.
       After 34 years, the admin has told me that it appears my work, at
whatever price, is a great bargain. The dean has also mentioned that in
his work on the board of music school accreditation, he has played
pianos at many, many, schools, and has yet to find one with pianos as
well maintained as we have here.   I might have them spoiled, but there
has never been any question about the value of my work.

Ed Foote RPT
http://www.piano-tuners.org/edfoote/well_tempered_piano.html