[pianotech] Kimball Petite Grand

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Sat Feb 23 13:09:47 MST 2013

Ron wrote:

<Sorry, no. Neither is in any danger of walking out, whatever the glue
line configuration. People envision fence posts walking out of the
ground with frost heave and yes, this certainly happens.

I was thinking more along different lines, walking-wise.  Nails in wood
walk out, sometimes all the way out in exterior applications. It happens
all the time with natural wood siding on the east and south side of a
building, unless something like a ringed shank nail is there to restrain
the walking. Granted these situations experience temperature and
humidity cycling and presumably much more aggressively than a piano
sees. Also, through pinned mortise and tenon joints do a similar thing
in high cycle environments. The wooden pin, which is over-sized for the
hole and form fit as its driven through the cross grain tenon tongue
will, unless restrained by glue, in high cycle environments,
walkout...not in.

However, seeing is believing, and I've been considering running this
relative pin movement test for a while anyway. Movement of the pin is
presumably pretty small. Can you describe your procedure...see if I can
replicate your results.

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio