[pianotech] Whassup with Yamaha U1's

Mark Schecter mark at schecterpiano.com
Sun Feb 24 11:52:51 MST 2013

Interesting. I don't claim any particular knowledge about this, but I do have two U1Js in my clientele. Both pianos have 7-digit serials, and I have no reason to think they are different in any way from any other (Japanese?) U1 I've worked on.  Both were bought used. One needed hammer spring loops due to age rot, the other was nearly pristine.

Here's Yamaha's page that might answer your question, or not:http://usa.yamaha.com/support/finding_age_of_yamaha_piano/

Going by the info on the link above, checking the serials of my two definitely used pianos, one was made in Jakarta in 2009, the other (with the rotten loops) will be made on Jakarta in (at the present rate) about 2015.

Like I said, I don't know. But now I'm puzzled, too. I always thought _all_ U1s, U3s, U5s, U7s, and WXs were made in Japan. There appear to be overlapping serials.

~Mark Schecter