[pianotech] Say goodbyebye folks

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Sun Feb 24 18:28:22 MST 2013

Yes indeed. This is not a small matter, in my opinion. With this list,
it's so easy to post a pic of some piano thing you've encountered that
day and want a quick opinion on. Just attach the file and you know list
memberes will see it straight away; no need to click on any links or
sign in to anything.  It's easy and immediate.  The "other" list is just
such a lot more faffing about, to do the same, and for all you know,
readers might not want to bother clicking on the link to see the pic
that you've taken the time to "upload".

Reading over the letter, I was struck by certain aspects.  It starts
"Greetings Pianotech Participants".  Which Pianotech?  This list, or the
my.ptg Pianotech list?  If this list, why was the letter not posted to
this list?  If referring to the my.ptg Pianotech list, why there?  Many
like me use this list but don't use the my.ptg list.  So I would not
have known about this list closing.  It seems to be all of a piece with
this list being ignored - did you get the Survey a few months ago?  It
didn't mention this list, but I made sure to do so in my responses.
Back to the letter:  I am interested in the usage "The topic of the
Pianotech list ... did come up".  Did come up?  Did come up?  Was it not
on the Agenda for the meeting, then?  Funny that an item not on the
Agenda was extensively considered and a decision made. If on the other
hand the matter was on the Agenda, why not say so?  Maybe this is not
the place to wax too semantical, but regard the phrase "charge the ECC
to look at other alternatives".  If "other" here is not a tautology,
then that sentence is saying that this List is an alternative.  (This
List is an alternative and they want a different, an "other"
alternative).  I don't se this List as an alternative.

End of rant.

David.
www.davidboyce.co.uk