[pianotech] pitch of a piano

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 24 18:58:04 MST 2013

Marshall:
I don't know which universe you live in, but in my world, if the string temperature drops, the pitch goes UP, and if the temperature of the string goes DOWN, the pitch goes DOWN.  Take your ETD or whatever you use to tune with, and a hair dryer.  Measure the pitch of a string before and after you heat it.  I'll bet it'll go flat after you heat it.  Try it.  It's also why using heat melts iron and steel, it gets loose and bends when hot, and stiff when it's cold.  Cold contracts, heat expands.
Hope that helps.
Paul McCloud
somewhere in an alternate universe
called San Diego