[pianotech] Say goodbyebye Folks

Stephen Grattan lostchordclinic at ameritech.net
Mon Feb 25 14:21:34 MST 2013

Well stated, Dave.

Steve Grattan

________________________________
From: David Renaud <drjazzca at gmail.com>
To: "pianotech at ptg.org" <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Mon, February 25, 2013 4:14:54 PM
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Say goodbyebye Folks

      In the hope home office monitors this I will voice a few personnel
opinions as one that has kept quiet on this subject but must now say goodby.

    To qualify from whom these comments come from. I am a chapter president, a
tuning examiner, and a technical examiner, active, teaching and hosting
meetings.

      So here goes.....

    FIRSTLY,  most important, thank you to all of you that have participated in
the list over the years. I get my email in real time on the road, and enjoy
monitoring questions and comments
between tunings and even while tuning. Much information and help has been
gleaned from listening to voices of other technicians with experience
negotiating a multitude of problems. Your posts have been valuable.

     I have tried myptg.org  from time to time, and generally NEVER go there.
 Every time I have thus far I became frustrated.

       The old list comes(came) to my gmail. Gmails filters are wonderful.
Easily and quickly I can filter for a subject or a person and get just what I
want. Many years of pianotech are in my online mailbox storage and I can search
and get what I want quickly.

         When I have gone to myptg.org the sub groups divide everything up. It
takes time and effort to negotiate.  I need to sign in, and I just don't want to
have to recall yet another password and input it then negotiate a website on the
road live....

        Bottom line is this.  When I would sit down and go to myptg.org. I get
this deep nausea in my stomach that I have been asked to do more administration,
 passwords to input, multiple sites, files, subfolders to find, visit, search,
new administration to learn, and more actions to execute then before. As a one
person business working 60-80 hrs a week doing real paying work I HATE
administration, I despise being asked to do MORE unpaid time sucking paperwork
or equivalent. There is no desk time left for same.

     So I have been quiet in this, never a peep. As the above sentence clearly
makes evident, there are those of us that have been quite, that do actually feel
quite strongly about it.

       Despite its faults, the old list took ZERO effort. It was always at my
fingertips in my inbox with ZERO time, since I already had the email live on the
road open regularly. I could research anything from anybody filtered anyway I
wanted from current or past posts going back years instantly,from anywhere I
was. Posting was instant. I would do all this even as tuning a piano, or between
tunings in the fly with no effort in real time.

          The new alternative feels like something I'm going to have to sit down
at the desk with for a few hours and figure out. It looks like something I will
only access occasionally when I get home and time to sit at the desk, sign in,
and negotiate web pages, sub folders,, and windows.I almost never do that
anymore, since I do most admiin on the Fly in real time now.

        All that said,  I will figure it out and use the new system.

        But I won't be following it daily anymore, perhaps once a month when I
have time to sit.
But technology has moved me away from the desk to make more money, this brings
me back to the desk, tying me down.

        And if this is true of many, who will not frequent the site in real
time, I can't wait a month for a response to a current question, I'll likely
call someone directly instead, or send some of my chapter members list the
question my email, so i can get an immediate response by email, not have to wait
until i have time to sit at a desk and "sign in" and navigate through a
website.

         Pianotech has been a very useful realtime tool.

        I tried the other, just don't have the time it seems to demand.  I doubt
I will have the time. There is no time to do more, I must do less, not more. I
have some commercial clients I have "fired" because they demand extra
administration time, can't afford more admin. time, it's too expensive to serve
them in wasted admin. time when I should be doing more paid work and less unpaid
administration time. I ramble now...I do that..........often.

         So there is my opinion.
          I suspect there are many more like myself that have never spoken up,
but feel this way.

          Once again...... Thank you To all pianotech participants.

           Back into the trenches.

                                                          Cheers
                                                               Dave Renaud

Sent from my iPad

I'd like to ask what seems an obvious question.