[pianotech] Google groups (Horace)

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Tue Feb 26 09:15:52 MST 2013

Hi, Paul, everyone ... Horace answered you yesterday evening, but
accidentally sent to me
instead of to the list. He can't get to a computer till mid-morning, so
late (too late) last night he
asked me to forward his reply to pianotech. -- Susan

-------------------------
Hi, Paul,

Yes...I'm semi-sorry to say that I could/can do that myself. What makes
more sense to me is to have some ISP set up and manage the server, and
then have some TBD person(s) act as administrators to setup mailman and
then to populate it with the archives from the existing instance.

Missing, unless they were to be made available by the guild, would be
the attachments. I'm sure that many of us collectively have most of that
stuff available...just not necessarily connected to the correct original
post.

While for many things I really like Amazon Web Services, I think the
best location for something of this nature is a real-time ISP. There are
thousands around the country, many with very competitive rates. The
advantage of this route is that all of the support of the physical
server and its OS and related software is managed by the ISP, leaving
someone else largely only having to worry about the mailman application
and things related to it. If you're wondering where $30K has been going,
it's for too few people to manage too few boxes...there's no economy of
scale and it looks like pianotech has been taking a hit for about 50% of
someone's salary...from a business perspective, that's clearly
unsustainable. What's inexplicable/illogical is why this wasn't
contracted out years ago...but, that's another topic for another time.

I'm happy to check with the ISP I use; or, someone else can...doesn't
matter. I've used Sonic.net <http://Sonic.net> for over 15 years and
always been pleased with their services costs. There may be other places
that are cheaper and/or better.

Anyway, thanks for your kind words, Paul. I'm speaking up because I hate
to see what appears to be so many people effectively cut off or opting
out when there is no real need and the options proferred really don't
provide the same service for the same amount of end-user effort.

Kind regards

Horace