[pianotech] Protest the loss of PianoTech by responding

Jim Moy jim at moypiano.com
Tue Feb 26 15:20:03 MST 2013

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Horace Greeley <hgreeley at sonic.net> wrote:

> On 2/26/2013 8:56 AM, Jim Moy wrote:
>
>  ...We could tuck pianotech away into a nice, secure, private server, but
>> then that wouldn't be pianotech, would it?
>>

> Sorry...wrong, altogether.
>
> There's no reason why pianotech could not be setup up in exactly that way
> and continue to function as it has.  ...

Right, and I agree with all you wrote after this sentence.

However, I was making a rhetorical point, continuing on the theme that
Susan had brought up. That is, she distrusts Google for privacy reasons,
therefore we should set up a new server of our own, and that will protect
us. The conclusion is incorrect, because continuing to run an open email
list like pianotech makes the messages and archives available for
searching. And so you've gone through the effort for no gain, relative to
what Google offers.

That is what I meant when I said "we could tuck pianotech away," that it
would no longer "be" pianotech, promoting open a free communication about
pianos.

So then I ask again, what is gained by hosting an email list at our time
and expense, compared to the one available for free in the Google Group?

With a new server the email address will change, because the ptg.org domain
is not ours. People will have to "move" as they are thinking about now
regarding the Google Group.

I appreciate your energy on, and ability to articulate the issue. I look
forward to being able to step back from the daily sysadmin tasks on the PTG
server as other volunteers step up :-)

Jim