[pianotech] real costs of running a listserv list

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Wed Feb 27 13:15:09 MST 2013

To reiterate, unless you have some sort of forum/listserve/whatever that's
secured by SSL, you have precisely zero privacy from "the bogeyman". My
tuning business website is regularly crawled by Google, Yahoo, Bing, and
countless Chinese, Japanese,
Malaysian, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc. search engines from all
over the planet. You can put crawler "requests" in a robots.txt file, but
(just like the doomed "Do Not Track" non-standard) no bot is required by
any rule, regulation, or law to abide by it. So you can tell Google not to
index your listserver. It won't. But that doesn't stop Hu Jintao (president
of China) from doing whatever the hell he wants.  There is nearly-zero
benefit in operating your own listserver. If you/we do, you/we must
maintain the OS patches and listserver patches and whatever other patches
come along for its software. Backups and redundancy and security and safety
must be maintained.

To recap my reiteration... if you don't want google to find you, don't post
anything anywhere in the internet.

As for JD being the sole admin (which I believe/assume to be the case),
that's not a good thing either. If he gets hit by a bus tomorrow morning,
we're SOL as far as any necessary administration. I think it's a good thing
that he's across the pond... that covers us with admin over more hours of
the day, assuming he assign a couple co-admins on this side to cover other
parts of the day that he's working and sleeping. Maybe an east coaster and
a west coaster.

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN