[pianotech] Noisy Baldwin Spinet

Mark Potter bases-loaded76 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 28 04:59:16 MST 2013

Terry -

Just serviced a Baldwin spinet yesterday with rock-hard grommets that crumbled
on the 4 keys I needed to remove to ease.  However, they surprisingly were not
noisy, and I wonder if it is because there was a thin felt punching between the
nut and the grommet.  Would only take you a minute to find out, I guess.  Try a
hitch pin punching or thin balance rail punching between nut and grommet.  It
*might* work.  (And might not!)

Still, if the piano has any age to it - and it surely does - I would think a new
set of grommets would be in order if you're gonna remove the nut anyway to
include a felt punching.

Mark Potter