[pianotech] Tuning buddies

Larry Fisher RPT larry_fisher at pdxtuner.com
Thu Feb 28 07:50:10 MST 2013

It’s been a few years since I’ve told this story ........

Minuet is a small dog suitable for a floor mop on the end of a long handle.  The piano is against an inside “orphaned” wall so that you can chase kids, dogs and what ever else you might care to, in circles passing through the living room and the kitchen as you go.  The owner showed me to the piano and disappeared into the basement.  During the course of tuning, Minuet decided to practice for an upcoming opera by singing a rather tender aria for me.  As I’d tune, Minuet would take a few steps and form as close to an O as possible with it’s furry little mouth and SING!!!  Oh my gosh, what a pretty song of doggy love .......  in Italian of course  .............  and to hear such musical lyrics with such a theatrical display.  I felt  ........  special  ..........  charmed ........ to be able to be witness to such talent, even if it was only a practice session.  I can still see Minuet holding it’s fur balled head up so high as if singing to the heavens as he’d take a step or two and recite a few more lines of the love story  .........   and with such spirit!!  I have no clue as to the nature of the story but it sure sounded like he was jilted by a French Poodle and left in the rain when along came an Afghan with it’s long and free flowing fur covering it’s eyes as it gazed upon Minuet from above.  OK I’ll stop there.

I never laughed so hard!!

I called my then 92 year old father and woke him up from his nap (two hour time difference) to share with him the ability of an Alaskan Husky.  I’d play a note repeatedly and the dog would try to match it.  I then played “How much is that doggie in the window” and the dog kept a good solid O shape and strong will to perform throughout the song.  Dad still laughs about this at age 95.    The dog needs a bit more time to improve it’s tone recognition.

Yep!!  Ya never know the talent you’re going to find sitting the front row.