[pianotech] cash for copper

Tom Gorley tomgorley88 at sonic.net
Fri Mar 29 19:01:18 MDT 2013

James, you ask if other churches are being attacked for copper content.  Think municipal - - -street light systems, underground wire, electrical junction boxes ---All being hit for a million of cost per year in this county alone ( Santa Clara, CA).  A newspaper recently ran an article on this subject.  According to that report the penalty is a warning and/or probation for the first offense.

---Tom Gorley

James Kelly wrote:

Interesting discussion. Our State recently passed a law regarding more
documentation and identification of sellers of scrap metal to junk yards.
Large quantities of copper wire and metals from air handlers/air
conditioners have been stolen and turned in for cash at recyclers. I was
talking to a guy the other day in a church I was tuning in who was
installing an alarm system and enhanced fire safety system.  He told me it
was a huge problem and  little country churches have been hit hard. I was
wondering if anyone has come upon a piano in a church or any other venue
where the copper wound strings have been removed .

James Kelly
Pawleys Island SC
843-325-4357