Yamaha School Loan Program

Bdshull@aol.com Bdshull@aol.com
Fri May 21 09:23 MDT 1999

Richard:

<< One aspect of the program that I haven't seen mentioned is this:  What
 do you do with the pianos that the loan pianos are replacing?  I presume
 most universities have a 10 or 20 piano hole that the loan pianos fill.  >>

At the University of Redlands the School of Music developed their own rental
program with the displaced pianos.  Adding to this stock donated pianos which
would not be used anyway, a helpful annual sum is earned.   The advantages of
this rental program are that the displaced pianos earn money for the school
and have a place to live.   But Steinway grands get rented for $40-50/month
(why not $200 or more?  The school values rental stability over income, and
selects the customer for this reason;  several clients are connected to the
school in one way or another...)  Administering the program takes time from
the music secretaries.    And the contract-required annual tuning rarely gets
enforced.   Maybe the big issue is, why displace and rent out an older
Steinway grand when it could be rebuilt and used?  $$.

<<In general the program is okay, but I would prefer having our own stock of
instruments, paid for and up-to-date.  We have a budget to replace/rebuild,
but
unfortunately it doesn't really keep pace with replacement needs.>>

I agree with you.  Last night I got all fired up and wrote a short essay
which I might still post on the CAUT list.  The lease program has a tendency
to destabilize university piano service and inventory programs, which may not
be good, in the long run.  Our program always has a very successful sale, so
it keeps going.   At some point the entire industry might conclude the
program is not useful, leaving some schools in the lurch;  some manufacturers
or dealers might see the opportunity and keep it going for them, but right
now the programs are making it more difficult, in a healthy economic climate,
to revitalize piano service and inventory programs - unless the departments
are taking care of themselves like yours is doing.

Bill Shull
University of Redlands, La Sierra University
Loma Linda, CA