Horn trouble update

MHoffman11@aol.com MHoffman11@aol.com
Tue May 25 18:02 MDT 1999

Wow is this a great list or what?

Thanks for the prompt responses from everyone.

Del, I will take a look tomorrow regarding the anchor.  The bolt is in the
center of a metal plate affixed with two screws.  After some reflection, I
thought that maybe my breaking the beckets with a shear had caused the bolt
to vibrate and turn in a bit.  I don't think this happened, though, as the
bolt is fairly firm to any sympathetic vibration.

Interestingly, I strung the tenor section today and put only enough tension
on the new strings to hold the coils in shape.  And sure enough, the gap has
shunk.  Movement is occuring...surely a lot more will come with concert
tension.

Now what?  There are no visible cracks in the plate.  I cranked the pinblock
screws and plate bolts before any beginning stringing.

Thanks to all for the help.

<<
 Mike,

 The question is, what is the bolt anchored to in the belly rail?  If it just
 dead-ends into the belly rail without much support behind it there easily
could
 be enough wood movement to account for a 4 to 5 mm gap once string tension is
 removed from the plate.  It is also possible that it wasn't adjusted
correctly at
 the factory.  In any case, you can be quite sure that it was the intention
of the
 designer that the bolt and horn meet prior to the application of string
tension.