Horn trouble update

Tue May 25 21:39 MDT 1999

MHoffman11@aol.com wrote:

> Del, I will take a look tomorrow regarding the anchor.  The bolt is in the
> center of a metal plate affixed with two screws.  After some reflection, I
> thought that maybe my breaking the beckets with a shear had caused the bolt
> to vibrate and turn in a bit.  I don't think this happened, though, as the
> bolt is fairly firm to any sympathetic vibration.

Not likely.  I was thinking more along the lines of the bellyrail giving somewhat
over the years.

> Interestingly, I strung the tenor section today and put only enough tension
> on the new strings to hold the coils in shape.  And sure enough, the gap has
> shunk.  Movement is occuring...surely a lot more will come with concert
> tension.

The plate is bending with the addition of the strings even at low tension.  It
doesn't really take all that much.

> Now what?  There are no visible cracks in the plate.  I cranked the pinblock
> screws and plate bolts before any beginning stringing.

I'd still back out the bolt until there is contact.  I'd figure that whatever
caused the give in the first place is probably not finished.

Del