Horn trouble update #2

MHoffman11@aol.com MHoffman11@aol.com
Wed May 26 16:45 MDT 1999

<<
 I'd still back out the bolt until there is contact.  I'd figure that whatever
 caused the give in the first place is probably not finished.

 Del

Hi Del, Tom, Mike and Ron and aeveryone else kind enough to help me out

Yeah, I couldn't resist not turning that bolt out.  The gap did close a bit
before I snugged it up, though.  So instead of a pre-tension gap of 3/16, it
(had) a gap of about 3/32 or less.  Sort of meeting in the middle, I guess.
Chipping commences tomorrow...wish me luck!

BTW Del, the metal plate is attached to a 2 1/2 " thick belly bar, and on the
top edge of this sits the soundboard (unlike the  Steinway design shown in
Mason's "Piano Parts", page 25.  In other words, this Schaaf piano has the
horn stress at a location nearer the soundboard surface.  It would be hitting
part number 16, the cross beam, in the illustration).

There is also 3 1/2" of this belly bar (with the metal plate) hanging over
the damper tray;  perhaps this could have bent or got crushed under the
string pressure and when the tension was released, a gap showed up at the
bolt contact point.  Just a thought.  Anyone buy that?