Damper "shooshing" noise

Jeannie Grassi jgrassi@silverlink.net
Sun Nov 7 09:15 MST 1999

Dear List,
Even though this topic has been covered before, your answers to the question
following might prove helpful for Journal readers.  Any new or repeated
information for Rand on this topic is appreciated.  Thanks, as always, for
your help.

Jeannie Grassi, RPT
Assistant Editor, Piano Technicians Journal
mailto:jgrassi@silverlink.net

from Rand Reeves:

A local recording studio called me in to look at a problem they've been
having with a Kawai GS-40 with excessive damper noise when the pedal is
engaged.  I of course checked for all other noise sources, but the only
sounds I hear are that "Shooshing" noise as the dampers lift as a unit.
They
are lifting evenly, and seem to be regulated well.  This is a sensitive
situation, of course, since they put mikes right up against the strings for
recording.  I do not feel this would be an issue in a home situation, or
even
a normal concert situation.  However, I do feel that the dampers are a bit
noisier than normal.
    Is the problem with the grain of the damper felt?  I assume that most of
the noise is coming from the trichords and bichords, but it's hard to tell
exactly.  Perhaps just brushing the damper felts and re-regulating them.  Or
maybe I need to replace them all?
    I would appreciate it if I could hear from someone who has addressed
this
problem in a very nit-picky sound recording studio situation.  It's driving
them crazy.

                        Thanks,

                        Rand Reeves
                        Ballston Spa, NY (Albany)