Damper "shooshing" noise

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sun Nov 7 10:35 MST 1999

>sounds I hear are that "Shooshing" noise as the dampers lift as a unit.

This noise is made as the felt drags across the wire.

- Clean the wire with steel wool or Scotch-Brite to reduce the corrosion's
effect.

- Trim the tricord felt tips so they do not hang down too far below the wire.

- Squeeze the tips with round-nosed pliers to further reduce drag being
careful
  not to reduce the area at the wire contact.

I just did this on a piano with great results.

The damper wire may also be dragging on the guide rail felt, if so polish the
wire.

I've also noticed that trichord felt on the front of the damper head in the
upper tenor
make a noise if it is too long and not crimped on the tips.

Fun stuff,

Jon Page,  Harwich Port,  Cape Cod,  Mass.  mailto:jpage@capecod.net