Damper "shooshing" noise

FSSturm@aol.com FSSturm@aol.com
Mon Nov 8 16:23 MST 1999

Never discount the possibility that the customer may be describing a problem
inaccurately - they know something is wrong with the dampers, and assume you
will figure it out. It is always possible that the complaint is not for a
noise generated during damper rise, but rather on damper return. I certainly
hear a lot more complaints about the sound generated when the pedal is let up
very slowly (dampers slowly coming into contact with strings), and this is
often described in such a way that my first impulse is to look at the pedals
and trapwork. In a case like this, where you fail to hear the porblem, it
might be a good idea to ask to listen to a tape where the offending sound
occurs. Then you can get a much better idea what the problem is likely to be.
    If it is noise on damper rise, I have nothing to add to what has already
been offered.
Fred S. Sturm, RPT
University of New Mexico

 Any new or repeated