Damper "shooshing" noise

guthrie@montana.edu guthrie@montana.edu
Mon Nov 8 17:08 MST 1999

>>from Rand Reeves:
>>
>>A local recording studio called me in to look at a problem they've been
>>having with a Kawai GS-40 with excessive damper noise when the pedal is
>>engaged.

I have not tried this yet myself, but sometime back I discussed exactly the
same problem with some other technicians.  A suggestion at that time was to
bend the damper head so that the front and back of the damper did not
contact the string at the same time upon return to the string.  I don't
know that it would work, but it makes sense to me that it should make the
swoosh less noticable.

Ward Guthrie, RPT
Bozeman, MT