A443

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Tue Sep 14 11:56 MDT 1999

The question is not how high, but why?  In my paid concert venue I
charged an extra $100 (should not be $125) for changing the pitch from
440 to 442 and back.

I did make that change on one of the university Ds and it took me four
tunings to get that damned thing stable again.  Their nickel but it
was my time and my responsibility when the piano went out of tune.

I just absolutely refused 443.  I was asked for 444 once and refused
more vociferously.

The more freedom given to change pitch the more it is taken and the
higher it goes.  We have a "standard" so let's stick to it.

Ds are particularly sensitive to pitch changes, they behave like a
collection of springs and not nicely either.

If you explain to your chairman that you will have to spend the time
to restabilize the piano that you could have done five more tunings
for the department then the chair might have a better perspective on
what such shenanigans cost.

Two tunings before and two and maybe three after.  And who the hell
can tell the difference?

My attitude is; "up their attitude" and not on my piano.  Let them
rent a piano from somewhere else.

It is AMAZING how quickly they change when it is going to hit them in
their Handtocha.

		Newton (mad as hell and I'm not going to take any more!)