A443

John Baird jbaird@fgi.net
Tue Sep 14 12:57 MDT 1999

Newton Hunt wrote:

> The question is not how high, but why?

Agreed.

As far as safety goes, Michael Mohr told me that Steinway has been known to
chip their pianos to A447. It's not a question of whether the piano can take
it.

But why are some orchestras tuning to a higher pitch? I cynically wonder
they are looking for a special effect when playing against the A440 chimes
and xylophone.

Is there a good reason? It would be interesting to survey the group for the
various reasons/claims that orchestra personnel have given for tuning to a
higher pitch.

John Baird, RPT
Decatur, Illinois

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...