Glue for laminating a bentside

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Mon Sep 27 21:02 MDT 1999

Hi Ed,

Looks like I may be the first to stick my neck out on this. I don't know
the laminate thicknesses and lengths involved, but is it possible you could
use the same materials and technique that works for veneering? It can't
hurt to experiment on non-critical materials of similar dimensions.

Spread Titebond evenly, preferably with a roller, on the laminate surface.
Allow no voids or gaps, including at the edges of the material, and
deliberately allow it to dry.  Then use heat to reactivate the glue. The
ideal heat applicator is an aluminum cylinder or other metal roller that's
heated -- by resting on an upside-down clothes iron, or a variation of this
theme if any exotic curves/bends are involved.

If this works, you'll be working in 'familiar' turf, and it could save you
some time and grief, instead of tooling up with more exotic glues --
especially two-part, hi-freq, and so on.

I've either not experienced yellow glue failing under tension, or am not
interpreting the statement right. I suppose anything will fail given the
right circumstances. Pinblocks loose from the liner come to mind.

If this doesn't work, at least it'll provide ammunition for others to flame
me! <g>

At 05:28 PM 9/27/99 -1300, you wrote:
>Dear List:
>	I'm preparing to laminate a bentside for a harpsichord.  I'm uncertain
>as to what kind of glue to use.  It will need a rather long open time to be
>spread on the surfaces.  When dry it shouldn't creep under tension. I use hot
>glue for action work, but have never used it for projects where it needed
to be
>modified to stay open long. I've seen yellow glue fail under constant tension.
>	Just to add to the fun, the job is scheduled for next week, but could
>be delayed if I can't get the glue in time.
>	Perhaps some people on the list have some comparable glue experiences
>and can help with ideas.
>	Thank you.
>		Ed Sutton
>		musutton@alpha.nlu.edu

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
 -- someone who's been in the field too long.