Glue for laminating a bentside

Eric Wolfley eric.wolfley@uc.edu
Tue Sep 28 06:07 MDT 1999

Ed,

I've laminated a number of bentsides using West System Epoxy (slow cure).
It has shown absolutely no signs of creep or failure of any kind. I like it
because it will fill any gaps that might occurr. The urea-formaldyhyde glue
will work fine also as long as there are no gaps. I believe most piano
manufacturers use this glue for their rim laminating. Hide glue has a
historically proven track record as well. Tightbond or other yellow glues
are not recommended because they will creep.

Eric

At 05:28 PM 9/27/99 -1300, you wrote:
>Dear List:
>	I'm preparing to laminate a bentside for a harpsichord.  I'm uncertain
>as to what kind of glue to use.  It will need a rather long open time to be
>spread on the surfaces.  When dry it shouldn't creep under tension. I use hot
>glue for action work, but have never used it for projects where it needed
to be
>modified to stay open long. I've seen yellow glue fail under constant tension.
>	Just to add to the fun, the job is scheduled for next week, but could
>be delayed if I can't get the glue in time.
>	Perhaps some people on the list have some comparable glue experiences
>and can help with ideas.
>	Thank you.
>		Ed Sutton
>		musutton@alpha.nlu.edu