Dampp-Chaser systems in university pianos

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Tue Aug 1 17:09 MDT 2000

I have enjoyed following this thread as that I have been experimenting with
using DC systems in faculty and grad studios for the last two years.

What I have found, as many of you have also replied, is the faculty can't
seem to keep water in them.  Interestingly enough, the grad students do
fine.  The good part about faculty not bothering to fill the water is that
it takes the blame off me.  If they can't walk down the hall and get a
simple can of water then they can't bitch at me when it goes out of tune so
fast.

Our biggest problem here is extreme dryness in the winter, down to 7-10%
sometimes.  (my little hygrometers are not very high tech so not accurate
under 28% or so but that is a good average).  What I have been finding is
that the pianos do not drop in pitch as much in the winter now but as I am
doing my summer tuning right now, they are still averaging about 16-20
cents sharp.

chris

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH

-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (740) 593-1656    fax# (740) 593-1429