Dampp-Chaser systems/recital piano usage

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Wed Aug 2 12:13 MDT 2000

Hi all,
I installed the 6-part systems last summer in all ten of our piano faculty
Steiway B's.  I have not had a problem with our piano faculty members being
willing to maintain the water levels.  They're well aware that with only
one of me against 127 pianos, that I need all the help I can get, and they
seem more than willing to water the pianos.  When any of them is out for a
while they always let me know so I can monitor the systems while they're
gone.  I don't know how well members of the other departments would do
though, as they have different priorities and that is understandable.

I must disagree with what Paul wrote about water level maintenance,
however.  Most of our faculty tell me that even during times of high
humidity (or most of the year) they're still refilling the tanks every two
weeks or so and once or twice a week during lower humidity season (Steinway
B requires the smaller tank).  According to the information from
Dampp-Chaser, the operation isn't so simple as cutting on and off at 43%.

"HOW THE HUMIDISTAT FUNCTIONS
The automatic Humidistat has a differential of 8% RH.  Although the setting
is 42% RH, the cut-off points are 8% apart. The cut-on portion for the
Dehumidifier is 46% RH.  This is the cut-off point for the Humidifier and
means that the Humidifier will operate until the Humidistat senses that 38%
RH is reached.  The Dehumidifier will turn off at this point and the
Humidifier will turn on.  The system cycles to produce an average 42% RH as
long as the Humidistat receives proper "feedback" and there is sufficient
dehumidification capability to reduce the humidity to 38% RH or below."
- Dampp-Chaser Electronics Corporation, PN 20234, Rev. 5/98, "General
Information on the H2 Humidistat Its Operation and Location Within a Piano"

(There is even a little graph that shows what happens over time in a
controlled test cabinet.  All this is on the flip side of the "H 2
Humidistat Installation Instructions" -- single sheet, not the system
installation booklet.)

I can only infer from this that therefore, regardless of the outside
climate stability (even if it were stable at 42%), the system uses water
year round.  The fact that my faculty members refill the tanks relatively
often during the summer supports it.

I have experienced a slight improvement in tuning stability, but nothing
like I had really hoped to see.  Some have commented that the actions seem
more consistent, as well.  That also may be due in part to wear.

RE: recital piano usage:
As far as concert grand protection, as I have been told, the only way we
were able to have a recital hall included in our new building 5 years ago,
was to label it a "lecture hall".  It has a 3/4 million dollar organ right
in the middle of the relatively small stage, and both Steinway D's are
"stored" onstage, not locked, but covered.  I believe that as many as six
classes per day meet in the room which seats around 150 or so.  The
instructors occasionally need to play a few notes in the teaching process
and we simply have to live with it.  Piano storage rooms on each side of
the stage were included in the design, but are both useless.  One has a
door to the outside hall which has a draft which could sail a large ship,
and this room also houses the lighting controller and A/V equipment.  The
other houses the "return" ductwork for the air conditioning system
presenting potentially disastrous climactic problems.  The climates of
neither storage room is controlled, and rarely resemble that of the hall
rendering them worthless for their purpose.  Further, the difficulty level
of moving a piano either in or out is such that no one wants to attempt it.
Someone trustworthy (like me) would have to be there any time anyone wanted
to get a piano out or put it up.

Rehearsal time for students is limited to whatever they are able to
schedule, IF they are able to schedule, but not more than the length of a
class period.  Faculty can use as much as they need and can get.  Keep in
mind that not only do rehearsals have to schedule around classes, but also
around seminars, recitals, organ instruction and rehearsal, and my time!
So far, overuse of the room has preempted the need for locks on the pianos.

Jeff Tanner

>Millikin University recently had a terrible high humidity problem (90† RH)
>in the old part of their remodeled and expanded facility. The architects
>and heating contractors are working on a solution, but meanwhile we are
>concerned about our 41 new Steinways and Bostons.
>
>Have any of you installed Dampp-Chaser systems in teaching studios? What is
>your experience?
>
>One CAUT member I just called said he has pretty much abandoned the ones
>they had because faculty did not maintain them.
>
>Thanks for any advice,
>
>John Baird
>Decatur, Illinois

>Hi John,
>If you recall my article in the CAUT Newsletter, there are ways you can
>keep them maintained without involving the faculty.  Under high humidity
>conditions, there is no maintenance required other than making sure the
>units are plugged in.
>
>Make sure you purchase a complete 5 part system.  When the humidity drops
>below 43%, the dehumidifier kicks in and then you need to make sure the
>pails get filled.  Ususally under very dry circumstances, say 25% to 30%,
>the pails will need to be filled about every 10 -14 days.  I take the time
>to train students to do this task and most of the time they are very
>faithful about it.
>
>Regards,
>Paul
>
>Paul Kupelian, RPT