more inquiries

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Fri Aug 4 07:28 MDT 2000

At 09:40 PM 08/03/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>I have a few more days to wrestle with this proposal, so I am now out of
>panic mode.  The spreadsheet done by Dave really helps a lot!  Thanks so
>much!  This is my first attempt at proposal writing, and my first attempt at
>estimating piano service for a university.
>
>Since there will be only about 30 pianos to start with, this won't justify
>having a staff technician.  I am preparing a cost estimate for routine
>maintenance, tuning, cleaning, voicing, etc.  HOWEVER, I am also tempted to
>price separately the cost of "delivering" these services because parking
>will not be available.  The best one can do after traveling in heavy traffic
>for an hour, is pay $12 per day in a far away parking lot, and drag all the
>tools and stuff up hill and many steps!  I am thinking that 4 pianos could
>be done during a normal work day, and charging a "delivery" fee of $100 per
>day.  Is this reasonable?  For instance, if I decide that a piano needs
>serviced three times a year, and will include tuning, cleaning, voicing and
>regulation, and that this will be charged at $100 per visit (3 times per
>year), and the cost to deliver this service will be $25 per piano (figuring
>4 a day) should I quote this in the budget as just one figure of $125 or
>break it down?

Carol,
If the drive was not tiring enough, lugging tools a distance will be,
insist on a
special pass to park closer to the building, usually in the loading area
for the theater.
There will be times when the materials you bring are much too heavy to carry
over a distance and why waste more time in transit, especially in inclement
weather.
You wouldn't find a plumber or electrician without easy access to their
vehicles.

Make it easy on yourself,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.