Nickelcreek

Scott Thile scott.thile@murraystate.edu
Mon Aug 7 17:43 MDT 2000

Wow,

Thanks Tim for these nice words.... Kind of a surprise seeing that subject
line here on the CAUT list! It has been a great pleasure to see Chris grow
into the musician he has, but an even greater pleasure seeing the kind of
man he has become.

I got to play the Sioux River Folk Festival with the band two years
ago.  It was great!

God gets all the credit for Chris.  Kathy, my wife and I have tried not to
ruin what God was doing with Chris's talent and his intense motivation, and
we also offered as many opportunities as possible.  What a great thing to
get to play together with your son  (I played with them pretty much from
the beginning until this year when they just got too busy, about 11 years).
Chris was 8 years old when we started playing with the band together!

Many musicians did the same thing for Chris that he is trying to do now
when he takes time to be with the younger players.  He remembers well how
important that was to him and his development.  Kind of like when we help
out aspiring techs, just like we were helped by our mentors.

I still get to do a gig with the band every now and again. I still love it
when it happens.  Great to see them doing so well with things, and
remembering to be good people too.

Thanks again,
Scott
----------

At 08:45 PM 8/6/00 -0600, you wrote:

>This off subject.  I really don't care.
>
>Scott Thile is a technician on this list.  And we should all be aware that
>he has done an excellant job of raising a talented son.  Chris Thile is one
>of the finest mandolin players I have heard in years.  Scott Thile has
>listed in his signature the Nickel Creek Band, of which he was the bass
>player for several years.  As piano technicians we help others reach their
>potential.  Scott's son is only 19 I beleive, and was encouraged along with
>two other youngsters (19 & 23) to become involved in music.   These
>youngsters are now one of the most powerful bluegrass (and I use the word
>very loosely) bands in the world.  Scott was a big part of that growth.
>This band is no ordinary bluegrass band.  It is apparent in the original
>songs and arrangements,  along with the very powerful and sensitive playing.
>
>Perhaps the most important thing I saw happen at the end of the Sioux River
>Folk Festival was Scott's son (Chris) walking and talking with a boy of
>about 9.  They were discussing what it is like at the very beginnings of
>learning the mandolin (which this boy had already started).  Chris cared
>about what the boy was experiencing.  It seems his father has taught him a
>lesson of how to pass it on.
>
>As I said, this is way off subject.  But it is rare to see talent this
>strong.  It is strong because a person on our list took the time.  He should
>be very proud.  Very, Very proud.
>
>Tim Coates
>Unversity of South Dakota

Scott E. Thile, RPT