Organizational Structure

Wolfley, Eric (WOLFLEEL) WOLFLEEL@UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Wed Aug 16 09:29 MDT 2000

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eric Wolfley, RPT
Head Piano Technician
Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

		My title is Piano Tech.-Supervisor. I report to the
Assistant Dean for Performance Management under whose auspices the Piano
Tech. Dept. works basically as a team along with Operations and Scheduling.
I also consult with the head of the Keyboard Division and the Chair of the
Piano Dept. although they have no supervisory roles.

> 2.  Who approves your budget and do you have  authority to spend the money
> according to your own judgment.

		Our general operating  budget is completely under my control
and is approved through the Business Office in the form of a lump sum line
item from the Conservatory's budget. I can (and do) make additional requests
for special rebuilding projects directly to the Dean. These monies are held
in a separate account from which I can draw.

> 3.  Are you allowed to do anything to raise funds for your own
> departmental use by selling surplus pianos, or providing tuning services
> to other university departments for a fee.

		I have a special "slush fund" account which is very handy
because it does not come from general funds. We can deposit funds directly
into this account and we have complete control over how these funds are
spent. When people want to donate off-brand pianos to the Conservatory, we
can accept them with the understanding that they will be sold. We do this
through an agreement with a local piano dealer - they pick up the piano,
sell it, take a commission and pay us fair market (wholesale) value for the
piano. We don't have the hassle, but get money from the deal. We would
otherwise just have to say no to these donations. We can't sell any of our
inventory - it has to go to auction and we get a small percentage of the
selling price deposited into our operating budget.

> 5.  Are you involved with any of the "handy-man" stuff that needs to be
> done in your school.  (Building Management? )

	Nope!