D/C covers

Roger Wheelock roger@dampp-chaser.com
Fri Aug 18 13:46 MDT 2000

Mark Bolsius' posting was quite accurate.  At Dampp-Chaser we have
experimented with a number of materials, but not Gortex.  One of the
challenges is that we do not want to affect the acoustic quality of a piano.
We felt that material like Gortex would alter the sound.  What we settled
for was a very high quality speaker cloth.  We then had this independently
evaluated to make sure that it did not affect the sound on a Yamaha grand
piano.  As Mark stated, positive initial results gave way to a long term
increase in moisture.  We believe that some opening must be allowed for air
flow, but have not yet determined what is optimal at this point in time.

We always welcome feedback from technicians.  Feel free to email me
privately with any good ideas.

Thanks,

Roger Wheelock
Executive Vice President