D/C covers

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Tue Aug 22 11:16 MDT 2000

Mark,

We have all seen? the old covers with grommets/holes stretched across the
plate and attached to hooks screwed into the inner case.  That method worked
very well and some I've removed to tune left the interior looking like new.
The covers available today have stiff bars/battens? that keep the cover off
the strings.  They look lumpy but are effective.

David I.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-caut@ptg.org [mailto:owner-caut@ptg.org]On Behalf Of Mark
Cramer
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2000 9:02 AM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: RE: D/C covers

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-caut@ptg.org [mailto:owner-caut@ptg.org]On Behalf Of Fred
Sturm
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2000 3:56 PM
To: caut@ptg.org

 Am I right in assuming these
covers are simply held up by the plate beams, and may sag to touch or
nearly touch strings?

beams).<<<<

	 Why doesn't moisture build up in this scenario (or
does it)?

leaving a corner open during tests.  I've always liked the fact there is a
gap between bottom front panel and keybed on (most) verticals so the cabinet
is not presumed air-tight.

Customers have asked about this, and I've always suggested (perhaps
erroneously) that the DC needs to interact with room air to be effective.
That is, the movement of air caused by heating encourages an ongoing
exchange with air in the room, but not on par with a draft.

The (3-4) 1" plate-stud holes in a vertical soundboard allow my vivid
imagination to picture air exchange between front and back in the same
manner.  The backcover just removes draft air from the equation.
Mind you that's just my imagination, and right now the cloud passing by my
office window looks like a 65 foot-long Fazioli,..!  :>)

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University