skirts; how bout it?

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Mon Aug 21 10:43 MDT 2000

I have "beefed" a number of grands up to 100 watts, but found no difference.
Ditto with two verticals I had increased to 75 watts.  With the latter,
backcovers finally brought the correction needed.

I will keep in mind higher wattage, however must tell you that another 50
watts (200 watts) is what I use to dry out boards for shimming, no
humidistat of course.

There have been one or two replies in favor of a floor length skirt (unless
I begin shaving my legs!) instead of a full piano cover.  This would
presumeably attach to the inner rim, and cross over at the belly rail.

I like the idea, however the matter of the top of the soundboard remains.

Two pianos I've recently restrung here already have a hint of flash rusting
on the treble wire :>( .  I like the concept of string covers for that
reason. Nonetheless, 3 of the 4 (churches/school)I've installed are
routinely removed, as players feel they "muffle" the piano's tone.  I
seriously doubt we would succeed keeping them in place here.

BTW, though I've been told otherwise. I believe I hear an improvement when
tuning with the string covers removed.

Perhaps speaker-grille cloth over a rigid frame may make  a top-cover we
could live with?

Am appreciating the comments.

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University